Fountain paint pots, ghost crabs, and double rainbows–these images replay in my mind when I listen to the familiar tunes of family road trips. Yes, spending many hours in the confines of a Buick Century with three members of my family was not always pleasant, but the good memories outweigh the bad by a landslide.
Narrowing down my list of favorite road trip songs to 10 tunes was a headache-inducing challenge, but I powered through. Each song has a personal travel memory behind it:
1. “Dinah”-Bing Crosby & The Mills Brothers
2. “Music for a Found Harmonium”-Patrick Street’s cover (Original by Penguin Cafe Orchestra)
3. “Ramblin’ Man”-The Allman Brothers
4. “Road Trip”-Jon Schmidt
5. “Travelin’ Thru”-Dolly Parton
6. “Roll to Me”-Del Amitri
7. “On the Road Again”-Willie Nelson
8. “Fast Car”-Tracy Chapman
10. “Classical Gas”-Mason Williams
Please comment about your favorite road trip music and traveling memories. Thanks so much for reading!
Until next time….