September is here, and I can finally embrace my affinity for all things autumnal without (much) reproach. 😉
Yesterday, potato and cheddar soup was on the menu!
Below is the yummy recipe. 🙂
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 boiled potatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken broth or vegetable stock
- 3 cups heavy cream or half and half
- 1 pound shredded Cheddar cheese (Tillamook three-cheese sauce packs work well. Sometimes I use one of those and add Sargento shredded cheddar for the rest.)
- Chives and whatever herbs/spices you enjoy to taste
- In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, melt butter. Add onion and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in flour and cook until flour has blended with onion mixture.
- Add chicken broth and potatoes and cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is slightly thickened. Add milk and heat just to boiling, stirring constantly.
- In covered blender at medium speed, blend about 1/4 of soup mixture at a time until smooth. Return to saucepan and, over medium heat, heat just to boiling. Remove from heat.
- Stir in cheese until melted. If cheese does not melt completely, cook over very low heat about 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Enjoy! 🙂
What is your favorite soup? Let me know in the comments!